KC Water operates the Household Hazardous Waste program, accepting household chemicals from residents and hazardous materials from city facilities. Professionals at this facility safely manage, recycle, and properly discard dangerous household products. Proper handling of these materials offers a safe method to rid one’s home and prevents waste from entering our rivers and streams.
KC Water’s Household Hazardous Waste facility will reopen at 9:00 a.m., Friday, May 15th with restrictions in place to protect customers and employees.
- Customers will be required to remain in their cars during the drop-off process.
- Instead of signing a residency declaration, customers will just need to show their ID for proof of residency.
- The facility will accept materials only from the first 125 cars on Thursdays and Fridays from 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- The facility will accept materials only from the first 100 cars on Saturdays 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- In order to accommodate as many drop-offs as possible, participants with loads exceeding 600 pounds must call 816-513-8400 to schedule a Wednesday appointment.
- The Swap Shop will remain closed.
- The facility will be closed Saturday, May 23rd for the Memorial Day Weekend.
Household Hazardous Waste
4707 Deramus Avenue
Kansas City, MO 64120
Hours of Operation:
Hazardous waste materials accepted Thursday and Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., and Saturday, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Effective July 1, 2018 residential customers planning to drop off more than 600 pounds of products at one time must make an appointment. Appointments for loads over 600 pounds will be accepted only on Wednesdays. KC Water is not permitted to accept hazardous waste from businesses.
2020 Holiday Schedule:
May 23rd through 26th – Closed for Memorial Day
July 3rd & 4th – Closed for Independence Day
September 5th through 8th – Closed for Labor Day
November 26th through 28th – Closed for Thanksgiving
December 21st through January 4, 2021 – Closed for facility maintenance and clean out
No charge to Kansas City, Mo. residents and participating communities.
Identification and proof of residency are required.
No appointment needed.
- Automotive products
- CFL Light Bulbs
- Hazardous Cleaners
- Hazardous Liquids
- Household Cleaners
- Lawn and Garden Products
- Photographic Chemicals
- Pool Chemicals
- Used Oils
- Commercial waste
- Prescription drugs
- Pressurized gas cylinders
- Yard waste
Looking for paint or household cleaners? The Hazardous Waste Facility Swap Shop sells 5-gallon buckets of recycled paint for $25.00. Residents may visit the Swap Shop during regular business hours on Tuesday and Wednesday, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., to select the items they need.
2020 Participating Communities:
North Kansas City
Unincorporated Clay County: Mosby, Missouri City, Prathersville, Randolph, Birmingham, Holt, Oakview, Oakwood, Oakwood Park, Oaks
Unincorporated Jackson County: Levasy, Sibley, Unity Village
Unincorporated Platte County: Tracy, Platte Woods, Farely, Northmoor, Houston Lake, Iatan, Ridgely