(Kansas City, Mo.) – Calling it a “long term investment in the future of this city and the future of the Northland,” Mayor Sly James helped cut the ribbon on an expansive infrastructure project. City Manager Troy Schulte, KC Water Services Director Terry Leeds, and representatives from Hunt Midwest and MD Management also joined the ribbon cutting ceremony.
“That’s how great cities get and stay great,” said Mayor James. “They grow and they build on a firm foundation. This is the firm foundation the Northland needs in order to accommodate that type of growth in the future.”
KC Water Services recently completed construction of 54,500 feet (almost 10.5 miles) of sewer main and two new pumping stations, opening up approximately 13,000 acres of undeveloped land in Kansas City’s Northland. The area is generally bordered on the west and east by Interstate 29 and Highway 169, on the south by Highway 152, and on the north by Highway 291. The development area is ultimately expected to attract more than 70,000 residents. KC Water Services broke ground on the project in April 2013, and the work was completed on-time and under-budget.
City Manager Troy Schulte said the benefits of this project go beyond its boundaries. “This makes Kansas City even more attractive for not only the 70,000 to 100,000 residents this area could attract, but for the 460,000 residents Kansas City already has.”
KC Water Services Director Leeds said the project’s sheer size makes this one different. “I’m not aware of any single project that opened this much area for development in Kansas City. Most development happens in increments and this was a larger area to be done at one time.”
The Twin Creeks KC Development Task Force recommends a combined plan for residential and commercial use. Approximately 70% of the land will be residential and the remaining 30% will be commercial. Benton House of Tiffany Springs, an $8.5 million senior living facility near Missouri 152 and North Ambassador Drive, is the first business connected to the new sewer system.
In December 2014, the Platte County Economic Development Council presented the City of Kansas City, Missouri and KC Water Services with a “Business Excellence Award” for the Twin Creeks project. The awards were presented to entities that positively impacted the Platte County community through new investment, job creation, increased visibility, and increased tax base.
For more information, please contact Brooke Givens, Media Relations Coordinator, at email@example.com or 816.513.0284.
KC Water maintains and operates water treatment and distribution systems, stormwater management systems, and wastewater collection and treatment systems for residential and business customers in Kansas City and for wholesale customers in the Kansas City area. KC Water is primarily funded by fees charged to customers based on their use or impacts on the three utility systems.
Follow KC Water: Website • Facebook • Twitter • YouTube • Instagram • NextDoor