Coronavirus and KC Water
Water is essential to life. We want to assure you that – especially during this unprecedented time – the nearly 850 Kansas Citians who work at KC Water remain steadfastly committed to ensure the health and safety of our customers.
This page provides the latest information about how KC Water is responding to the pandemic. Please check here first for the latest information about water quality during this time.
- The tap water we deliver is safe, and there is plenty of it, thanks to our primary source of water, the Missouri River.
- We treat wastewater efficiently and effectively. We need your help by making sure nothing is flushed other than the 3 Ps – pee, poop and toilet paper.
- Our crews remain on the job – 24/7/365 – making sure that our water distribution and wastewater and stormwater collection systems works effectively. Please stay clear not only for your safety and theirs, but also to comply with the City’s pandemic-related orders.
More about Most Important
Tap water is safe to drink
KC Water meets all present EPA treatment requirements that prevent waterborne pathogens such as viruses from contaminating drinking water. These treatment requirements include filtration and disinfectants such as chlorine that remove or kill pathogens before they reach the tap.
We are under safety restrictions, too . . .
To protect our employees and our customers, we have closed our buildings to visitors unless by appointment. Our customer service lobby at 4800 E. 63rd St is also open to the public by appointment only. To make an appointment, please call 816-513-1313 and select option 1. The payment drop box by the front door remains available, but please observe social distancing if others are nearby.
Many of our employees are working from home, so please understand if there are response delays. We encourage social distancing for all who must report to work.
During this time we have reduced our call center hours to 8 am – 5 pm. Wait times may be longer than usual. If your issue is not urgent, we ask that you submit your customer service request online. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
. . . but we’re still on the job all over town
The U.S. Department of Security designated water, wastewater, and public works employees as Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers during the COVID-19 emergency. Employees needed to operate and maintain drinking water, wastewater and stormwater infrastructure provide essential services necessary in pandemic conditions.
Included are our staff and our contractors who are repairing, maintaining, or building water infrastructure throughout Kansas City.
It also includes our associates at treatment and maintenance facilities not normally open to the public, as well as the staff of our certified water laboratory, which conducts hundreds of water tests daily.
Payments in the Pandemic
- Manage your account online. Using the pay portal, you can do a lot – pay your bill, arrange to pay over time, check your usage, and much more.
- Pay your bill in safe social-distancing ways: Online, U.S. Mail, our voice-activated payment phone line, or use the drop box at our offices at 4800 E. 63rd
Still Have Questions?
- As always, if you have a service issue (no water, low pressure, sewer backup, etc.), please call 311.
- For routine water or sewer questions, please check first for information elsewhere on our website using the tabs on our home page.
- As a last resort only, please: Our customer service center phone number is 816-513-1313, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Due to City restrictions on activity, wait times may be longer than you or we would prefer. Please be patient.
At KC Water, we strive to be good stewards in our community, protecting the environment and providing services that support the public good. Thank you for your support as we work hard to make Kansas City and all Kansas Citians – now and future generations – the best we can be.
Additional coronavirus news and information
KC Water Looks Forward to Working With Council to Assist Customers in Need
KC Water Will Lift Moratorium on Delinquent Accounts
KC Water Pauses Keep Out the Rain Program Due to COVID-19
KC Water HHW Facility to Reopen With Restrictions
Letter to Customers from KC Water Director
KC Water Sends a Thank You Message to Essential Workers
KC Water Will Waive Late Fees for Customers
KC Water’s Water, Wastewater and Stormwater Crews Continue Essential Projects during Citywide Stay at Home Order
KC Water Continues to Implement Changes to Protect Employees and Customers During the State of Emergency
KC Water Reminds Customers Tap Water is Safe and to Use Self-Service Options
KC Water Temporarily Halts Shut-Offs Amid Coronavirus Pandemic